OTP for number verification has become a must for security protocols. And, it is also a great way to know your customers and get their contact details. However, there are a few challenges seen in the current time and that can be addressed successfully with WebOTP API Verification. But before that, you need to understand the WebOTP API Verification first. Let’s get started with the basics.
What do you mean by WebOTP API?
Who does not have mobile phones these days? I guess you will hardly find someone without a mobile. And, that is what exactly developers like the most. Didn’t get it? Phone numbers are generally used by them as an identifier tool to introduce their services to the end-users. You will come across a number of ways for phone number verifications, but the most common and user-friendly way to do it is by generating a one-time password (OTP) which is received via SMS sent by the service providers.
In general, it was previously known as SMS Receiver API and still, people call it by this name in some places. If you want to do OTP verification using API, then this blog will definitely help you out. You will discover the difference between the current version and its earlier counterpart.
Why need WebOTP API Verification?
- Phone number is the first mode of communication made to identify the users. When users generally Sign Up for a new service or create an account, most websites these days ask for their contact number, although they ask for their email address, which is of no use or less use, as they go with the numbers to verify the account.
- You can do the verification in two steps. During the sign-in time, almost all the websites ask for the OTP sent to the number provided by the users’ that is sent via SMS or a few other security questions for verification purposes.
- To confirm payments it is also required. Before making any kind of payment, you can confirm the intention of the users’ or identify that the legitimate person is making the payment.
Once received the OTP, users have to copy it and then paste it or put it manually – which is a very hectic process. However, some of the Web APIs autofill the OTP received on the phone, but for the desktop version, you need to look at your phone because these two are very different entities.
What are the current changes made with respect to the earlier versions?
The early versions used to be known as the SMS Receiver. The recent changes made to the API include:
- The current texting format is aligned with the advanced version of WebKit’s
- No matter whatever that has been included in the message it receives only the OTP. The code received may have multiple integers, catering from 0 to 10.
- You no longer have to insert the hash code in the application server
This is how the WebOTP API works for users.
Understanding the Process of the OTP Verification
The best thing about WebOTP is it provides a new option for OTP generation for verification purposes. It has to satisfy only one condition: there must be an array value that comes along with the string ‘sms’. You have the authority to reject a form if the OTP is put manually.
What is the format of the SMS message?
Though the API appears to be simple, you still need to know a few things to make the best out of the use. First of all, it should call the navigator.credentials.get() before sending a message and the same is applicable for the receiving device. The following rules are a must:
- The message must contain the character alphanumeric string that is ranging between 4 to 10. You must leave one number at least for the URL and OTP.
- Coming to the domain part of the URL, the concerned website is subject to be preceded by the @.
- The URL of the web API must contain the signature of a pound that looks like (‘#’), which is again to be followed by the OTP
Is it safe to use SMS as a way to authenticate?
Well, the SMS OTP is a very useful feature to verify the phone numbers if they are entered for the very first time or multiple security
- However, this must be done with the utmost care when it comes to proceeding with the re-authentication as chances are there the numbers being hijacked and used by the careers by following the recycling method. Coming to the reliability of the WebOTP, it is very convenient to re-auth and recover the lost data, password, user name, or any other credentials without much complication.
How can we help?
If you are opting to use the WebOTP API, then this is definitely a wise decision. VoIPTech Solutions can help you build your verification setup. Our Web API is compatible with the different browsers.
We can be your biggest asset when it comes to OTP verification and especially if you are operating remotely. Verifying the users and ensuring their authenticity can be done with ease. Our advanced VoIP Phone Systems & software support your verification with Virtual numbers required for the purpose. We offer you VoIP numbers for OTP verification in over 165+ nations worldwide. Save big with our paid VoIP Minutes plan, starting from only $10. For further queries, please call: +91-7008220621.