How to use WhatsApp: A step-by-step guide for the beginners
Overview: WhatsApp is the world’s most popular instant chatting app with more than 2 billion users worldwide. The app offers you a unified communication alternative to text, phone calls, file sharing, and more. It’s free & doesn’t have ads, featuring end-to-end encryption for messages privacy and security. To help you get started, we put together this beginner’s guide to how to use WhatsApp, from installing the app to chatting with friends and family in groups.
Step 1: To install the app, go to the app store and type “WhatsApp” on the search bar
Step 2: Downloading option for different mobile devices
- For Android**, use Google Play Store
- For Apple**, use IOS App Store
- For Windows**, use Windows Phone Store
Step 3: Desktop users visit: web.whatsapp.com.
Step 4: Click on “Install”. The process takes less than a minute, wait for the download to get complete
Step 5: Launch the app and approve the requested permissions.
- Enter your phone number and tap Confirm.
- Enter the verification code received via SMS (WhatsApp may do this automatically).
- Import existing contacts into the app (optional).
Step 6: To set up your WhatsApp profile:
- Tap the three dots in the top-right corner of the app and tap Settings.
- Tap your name at the top of the screen.
- To change your picture, tap the camera icon and select a photo.
- To change your name, tap the pencil icon next to Name.
- Enter or adjust your bio by tapping the pencil icon next to About.
Step 7: To start a new chat by tapping on the chat bubble in the bottom right.
- Select the contact you want to chat with from the list, type your message, & tap the send button
- Send pictures or files on WhatsApp by tapping the paperclip or camera icons at the bottom of the screen.
Step 8: To make calls using WhatsApp
- Open a chat window and tap the phone icon in the top right.
- For group audio calls, select multiple contacts
- Tap the video camera icon next to the phone icon to make video calls
- For group video calls, select multiple contacts
Step 9: For important settings, tap on Settings > Account > Privacy to customize your personal details like, last seen, Read receipts, etc.